Puran Poli Email this recipe
Break a sweet bread! This Maharashtrian bread is a sweet delight for your taste buds. Puran Poli is specifically made during Ganesh Chaturthi and other festive occasions like Diwali, adding up to the spirit of celebration.
- 1 cup Chana Dal (washed)
- 3 cups Water
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 tsp Cardamom Powder
- Nutmeg, grated
For making dough:
- 2 cups Maida
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Ghee
- 1 cup Water
Prepare Dal Mixture:
- Take Chana dal in a pressure cooker, add water and pressure cook it for about a minute (3-4 whistles).
- Drain the water and mash it coarsely. Now in a pressure cooker pour the mashed dal and add sugar. Mix it thoroughly and cook slowly.
- Add cardamom powder along with grated nutmeg to it and mix thoroughly.
- Continue stirring on low flame until it gets dry.
- Let the mixture cool down.
Prepare the dough:
- Take maida in a bowl.
- Add salt and ghee. Mix well.
- Add sufficient amount of water and make semi-soft dough.
- Wrap the bowl with a plastic sheet or damp cloth and leave it for 30 minutes.
Prepare Puran Poli:
- Make flat balls out of the dough like we make for chapatis.
- Dust it using maida flour and roll it in round shape with a roller.
- Fill the puran (stuffing) in it and then cover the edges. Roll it out again in round shape.
- Heat tawa and cook the puran poli on both sides with lots of ghee.
- Puran poli is ready to eat. Serve it hot with some more ghee poured over.